01 December 2011

Day 1 of the Advent Calendar: An excuse to stuff your face with chocolate

Today as I'm sure you all now is the 1st of December. Pinch and a punch for the first day of the month everybody!! It basically means that it is now acceptable to stuff your face with mince pies and watch an obscene amount of Christmas movies,even though you have already been doing that for the past month. Or is that just me?
This year has gone extremely fast and I can't believe its nearly 2012. Que loads of tourists and Sue Barker on the TV all year talking about the Olympics. Today I was awoken by Mummy Second Hand Rose with an advent calendar, very exciting! Even though I had actually chosen it online and I took the bag with them in from the Sainsbury's man, but that's not the point. I haven't had an advent calender for two years, yes people two years. Is that a good enough reason to call Childline?
So this year I made sure I got one, after Mummy Second Hand Rose asked me 'Aren't you too old for that now?'. Umm excuse me mother, you are never too old to have an advent calendar, or a stocking. My Cat even has an Advent calendar and he is twenty which is 97 in cat years!! After promising Mummy Second Hand Rose that I wouldn't eat all the chocolates in one go, which I may have accidentally done in previous years I opened the window to reveal a piece of Cadbury heaven. It actually took me a few minutes to find number one, what can I say I'm out of practise. But anyway I had chocolate before breakfast, what is better then that?
With the advent calendar I have the chocolates become bigger as you get closer to Christmas, so that's another reason I'm looking forward to Christmas, that and stuffing my face with pigs in blankets. Just to clarify I don't actually mean a pig in a blanket, I mean sausages wrapped in bacon, I don't want the RSPCA after me. Does anyone else remember when you could buy advent calendars that were 31 days? You can't find them anywhere and now they don't even have a Christmas day, it ends on the 24th? What's next just one chocolate a week? We are lucky though, advent calendars haven't always been stuffed with yummy chocolate behind the windows.

One of the 1st after the war
I am going to do an Advent Calendar on my blog, but sorry everyone I won't be giving out chocolate. I'll keep that all to me thanks. Everyday I will be hyperthetically be opening a door of an advent calendar and diving into the realm of nostalgia looking back over the years at Christmas and bringing some of it into 2011. I think I will leave Mock Goose in the past though thanks.

The advent calendar has been used for over 150 years, it started in Germany in the 19th century. It began with drawing a chalk line to mark off the days, later lighting a candle every night or putting up some religious pictures marked each day until Christmas. Yeah I think I will stick to the chocolate ones. The first calendar was printed by Gerhard Lang in Germany. It had miniature coloured pictures that were attached to a piece of cardboard each day in December. Later advent calendars were made with little doors to open on each day. Behind the window there was either a Christmas picture, a religious picture, a bible verse or sometimes a small piece of chocolate, now you're talking.

1950's
1950s-advent-calendar1
1950's
The German calendars were sold until World War 2 when production stopped. It resumed in 1946 by Richard Selmer. His company still produces them now and you can check out their Online Museum and see some of their early designs. You won't see any Ben 10 or The Incredibles though.
The first calendars were based on 24 days, but now they can be found with 25 days. Sadly not in Sainsbury's though, trust me I've looked. The traditional calender consists of two pieces of cardboard on top of each other. 24 doors are cut out in the top layer. The doors are opened each day and on the 24th holds a surprise like a larger piece of chocolate.  You can get wooden ones with draws or material ones, but I don't think you can beat one with a Father Christmas and a cartoon reindeer on the front. And of course lots of chocolate.

On to some exciting news now, in September I blogged about the  Elizabeth Taylor Auction at Christies, that is selling her gorgeous jewellery and beautiful dresses, amongst some other gems. This stunning display of nearly 2,000 items will go on display to the public for ten days till December the 12th.
There is then an auction that starts at December 13th-16th which is estimated to exceed $50 million in total. Among the highlights are a Diamond Room which has some of her iconic jewels on show including her 33.19 carat D-colour. There is a Lifetime Achievement Room with her awards and costumes from film roles and there is an also an Art Gallery displaying her great collection of Artwork, including Van Gogh and Warhol.
The bit I would sell my whole shoe collection to see is 'The Icon's Closet'- an awe inspiring walkthrough her haute couture and ready to wear fashion accessories, with over 200 designer handbags. Oh if only I could hop on a plane to New York and go there. Although its probably best I can't because I don't think I would be able to resist bidding on some of her amazing pieces. I wonder, do Wonga do $50 million loans?

So everyone enjoy your advent calendars and stuff your face with chocolate and get ready for Day 2!

Second Hand Rose
XxxX

4 comments:

  1. yay for chocolate before breakfast! i want an advent calendar now too, especially if it is a cadbury one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm following you now. Thank you for your comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love advent calendars. They make early morning so much more bearable! hehe. The Elizabeth Taylor auction sounds amazing!
    xoxo
    http://lucylocketinyourpocket.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you can justify eating chocolate at 7am during December :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my scribblings! Feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think, they will be repeated constantly to anyone who will listen! Don't forget to click the follow button and add me on Twitter @Second_HandRose and Instagram: second_handrose XxxX